On 23 September 2020, Snyman received a summons from his employer, the Western Cape Education Department (WCED) to attend a disciplinary hearing on charges of fraud and dishonesty.
In October, 2017, Snyman, and in accordance with his organisation's core beliefs around race classification - had stated on his Curriculum Vitae that he was an African male, when applying for a post as a school headmaster. His official records on persal, indicate that he is a Coloured male.
During his pre-hearing on 9 October 2020, the prosecutor for the WCED told him that should he be found guilty for the charges,he would be dismissed. A dismissal would mean that Snyman would loose his job, his house, car, medical aid, life policies, and everthing he had been working for all of his life. He would eventually have ended up on the street and would never been able to get a work again because of his fraudulent record.
On the morning of the hearing, 14 October, 2020 , the Minister of Education in the Western Cape dropped the charges on grounds of there being no legal basis for the hearing.
Charge sheet of Mr Snyman: (Disciplinary hearing charge sheet.pdf)
Media statement by MEC Debbie Schafer: (Media statement.pdf)
(1) Timeslive: 14 October 2020 ( “Coloured” teacher on fraud charges for saying he was African )
(2) Cape Independence: 17 October 2020 ( Failure of South Africa’s transformation Agenda )
(3) Timeslive: 25 October 2020 ( It is time to confront SA’s race classification system )
(1) Radio 2000: 15 October 2020 ( Glenzito and IRR Sara Gone )
(2) SAFM Sunrise: 16 October 2020 ( Steven and Trevor Manuel )
(3) RSG Monitor: 27 October 2020 ( Alan Boesak and Danie Van Wyk )
(1) ENews: 14 October 2020 ( Debbie Schafer withdraw charges )
(2) SABC News: 15 October 2020 ( Fraud charges withdrawn )
(3) News Africa, The Pulse: 20 October 2020 ( Who is African? Heritage activist Patric Tariq Mellet elaborates )
(4) eTV News & Sport: Teacher in hot water for identifying as African – Prof De Vos
(1) Chris Wyatt: You are not African Glen Snyman
(2) Big Daddy Liberty: Vlog 52
(3) Wonderlust: South Africa: Stop calling us Coloured
(5) Comedian Dillan Oliphant: I am an African, Snyman